7.20.2013

A Fun Descriptive Writing Assignment


I was inspired by my shampoo to give my students an at home assignment for descriptive writing. Here's my current bottle of shampoo. And the fabulous description which made me buy it.


A precious blend of Moroccan aragan oil which instantly penetrates the hair shaft restoring shine and softness while streghtening. Derived from the southwest region of Morocco, argan oil protects from styling heat and UV damage while creating soft, seductive, silky perfection. 


Wow! Who doesn't want seductive perfection from Morocco for their hair? 

I assigned the students to go home and find an example of descriptive
writing on a product from their house. It could be longer like my example, or just a phrase, or a sentence.  

They had to write down the description and the name of the product. And yes, they could do more than one because they liked hunting for descriptions. 

We shared and discussed them. We took out the descriptive words and read it to compare how it didn't sound as great as it did with the words. Would you rather eat just "flakes, granola clusters, and honey" or "crispy flakes, crunchy granola clusters, and a touch of sweet honey." 

We displayed them and let students write some of their favorites in their writer's notebook. 

Good times! 


No comments:

Post a Comment